Friday, February 22, 2013

Collect of the Day

Collect for Friday in the First Week of Lent
Lord Christ, our eternal Redeemer, grant us such fellowship in your sufferings, that, filled with your Holy Spirit, we may subdue the flesh to the spirit, and the spirit to you, and at the last attain to the glory of your resurrection; who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. - BCP

OOoooooooooooo. This collect for the day gets ya', doesn't it?  This is the first Friday of the Lent...well, last week was, but technically this is still week one! So, 10 days into the whole Lenten fast, how are you doing? By now, those easy Lenten promises we made on Ash Wednesday start getting a little annoying, don't they? Whether you made a fasting choice or a prayer choice or a good deeds choice, on this first Friday, you wonder...."welll....maybe I should change it to something easier!"  Thus the need for the prayer!

Sometimes, we really don't understand how our raging, out of control wants need to be roped in until we give them up.  Our bodies can behave like 2 year olds with tantrums. But, it is only in subduing those irrational wants that truly lets our spirits become free.  The Lord gave me a pretty interesting challenge this Lent.  At first, I thought..."ohhhhhh, say what?" But, I have stuck to the deal for Lent. My body feels lighter, my mind is sharper, I seem to be much more at peace.  God knows what is best. Is is only in dying to self, that we can truly rise with Him to new life.

Ummmmm...Where you going?
I love this picture of Jesus and St. Peter. There is an old legend that when Peter realized persecution was happening in Rome, he decided to bolt out of the city. As he was jetting out of the city, he saw Jesus on the road heading back to the city.  Peter asked him, "where are you going?" Jesus responded, "I am going to Rome to be crucified again."  

Don't run when times get tough during Lent.  Christ is there with us. Remember, the Head and the Body are one during Lent.  We take up our cross just like He did.  If we die with Him during Lent, we will surely rise with Him at Easter!

2 comments:

  1. I just found this blog. I have to say, what a lovely little reflection that has profited me. I also love the Quo Vadis picture. Lent has always been difficult for me. Self-rule is the thing I struggle with the most, and so am thankfull for the tradition of Lent, with all of its resources of imagery and prayers, to intrude upon my ways, tell me to stiffen up and try again. Pax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome and thanks for your kind words! May God bless you with a Holy Lent!

    ReplyDelete